Quiche


We eat quiche about once a month. It uses up all the bits of meat and veggies I have left over from meals. I toss them all into a bag in the freezer to add to quiche or stew. Almost any meat and veggie is good in quiche, finely chopped and cooked until soft. This one has peas, carrots, yellow beans, corn, onions, mushrooms and all beef sausage, grated cheddar and lots of parmesan, since that's what I had in the freezer. (I add parmesan to everything!) 

I put all the additions in a large bowl, add about 3/4 cup of whole milk for this large size, then fill up the rest with eggs and whisk it all together until well blended. It should be filled at least about 1/3 with eggs. (This large size took 10 eggs!) I put the cheese on the bottom of the pastry, then add the egg mix. Its best if the cheddar is on the bottom so it doesn't get to dry or too brown on the top. If you don't know how much volume your dish holds, fill the empty dish with water and pour into a large measuring cup or bowl, marking the level on the bowl so you know how much filling to make for your quiche.

I usually cook the meats first and finely chop them or use leftovers. Beef-pork-moose sausage, bacon, ham, ground beef or ground/chopped moose and poultry are all good in quiche, or a mix of any. I don't use poultry by itself in quiche, but its good with the addition of some bacon. I will add fresh things if I don't have enough in the freezer bucket. The same goes for stew. I make stew from the freezer bucket of left overs too and add left over gravies and sauces to it, as well, but only to stew, don't put liquids in a quiche. Stew with a mix of well cooked meats is very good! 

It doesn't need much in the way of seasoning, since all the things saved are already seasoned. I add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a quiche, since the eggs need it, and I add a liberal amount of pepper to both, but that's just personal taste. I also add garlic plus to both, but just a light sprinkle. 

Quiche is good for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Just add some biscuits or rolls and it makes a great meal! 

Bake the quiche until the center rises up and sets firmly and the top browns. This is a very large one and took 1 hour and 20 mins to cook at 350F. It's perfect! I would put a guard on the pastry edge to keep it from burning before the center is done. 

A good quiche is not all about the filling. Flaky, tender pastry is part of a good quiche too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment